Two dead and 11 critically hurt in shooting at Strasbourg Christmas market – with anti-terror police hunting gunman who fled after being injured in shootout
- The local fire department for the French city confirmed the casualties
- The area has been cordoned off and trams have stopped running in the area
- The gunman had previously been shot by a soldier near the Christmas market
- French Interior Ministry has called for the public to remain indoors
- The Strasbourg-based European Parliament was on lockdown after reports of the shooting emerged
- Police have said they know the identity of the suspected gunman
The incident happened close to a Christmas market in the central square of Strasbourg, Place Kleber.
Police have now said they know the identity of the gunman, who is known to have a criminal record and fled the scene after a shootout. The suspect had previously been wounded by a soldier close to the Christmas market where the shooting took place and police are desperate to track him down.
It is not yet clear if the market was the target of the attack or if there was any link to terrorism.